Spring Detox Week 1 Wrap Up

Lentil Salad
Week 1 of my Spring Detox has officially concluded and Week 2 has officially commenced! In case you missed it, check out my Spring Detox Kick Off post for why I've decided to do a detox.

When I began the detox last Saturday, I was feeling tired, sluggish, and unmotivated. One week later, I have significantly more energy. I am actually surprised at the amount of energy I have. I literally jumped out of bed this morning an hour before I usually get up on Saturday. Crazy.

At the beginning of the week, the fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, and lentils kept me satisfied. However, by the end of the week, I began craving more substantial foods again. I have an insatiable sweet tooth, so fresh and dried fruit have really help to curb those cravings.

The weather has not taken the hint that I'm ready for spring! Nearly every day this week we had rain, freezing rain, or snow. Almost all of our snow was gone until we got hit by a big storm and now have several inches on the ground again. Even my weekend travel plans were cancelled due to the snow.

Minneapolis - April 11, 2013

So, I continue my Spring Detox with the hope that at least I can feel spring-like inside even though the weather outside isn't spring-like at all.

For me, Days 3-6 were a little rough. I was tired, bloated, and nauseous. Then suddenly on Day 7, I felt much better. It was like someone turned the light on in a dark room. I didn't have much of an appetite during the middle of the week, but on Day 7 I was starving.

Eating out when on a detox is tough; I'm not going to lie. I went out to eat on Sunday for supper, and fortunately, I was able to choose the place: Masu, a Japanese restaurant. Avoiding soy was a little tricky, but I just asked for all the sauces on the side and my knowledgable waitress helped with the rest.

My resolve, now that I'm feeling better, has actually wained a bit. I was grocery shopping today, and I really wanted to sample some aged goat cheese. I really want some toast with Hell's Kitchen peanut butter. Then, I remind myself that I'll never know what a difference these 21 days of intensely healthy eating will have on my body if I don't see it through to the end. This is what keeps me going.

For Week 2, I'm excited about the Black Bean and Brown Rice Patties; Banana-Oat Pancakes; Cardamom Quinoa Porridge; Sesame Kale Salad; and Cherry-Date Oat Bars.

Week 1 Food Intake
Fruits, vegetables, lentils, nuts, seeds, oils, herbs, spices

Day 1: 
Breakfast: Mango-tahini smoothie; tulsi tea
Lunch: Cauliflower stir fry
Supper: Broccoli, spinach, avocado soup; sweet potato chips
Snacks: Almonds; raisins; pumpkin seeds; banana; golden elixir
Day 2: 
Breakfast: Mango-tahini smoothie; tulsi tea
Lunch: Broccoli, spinach, avocado soup
Supper: Japanese cucumber seaweed salad; grilled asparagus and mushrooms; Japanese pickled vegetables
Snack: Banana; apple; mango; golden elixir
Blueberry Mint Avocado Smoothie
Day 3:
Breakfast: Blueberry, mint, avocado, banana smoothie; herbal chai tea
Lunch: Lentil salad
Supper: Roasted portobello mushroom topped with kale
Snacks: Raisins; almonds; pumpkin seeds; banana; golden elixir
Day 4:
Breakfast: Blueberry, mint, avocado, banana smoothie; ginger tea
Lunch: Lentil salad
Supper: Celery with peanut butter; vegetable broth
Snacks: Raisins; almonds; roasted chili pumpkin seeds; golden elixir
Roasted Portobello Mushroom with Kale
Day 5: 
Breakfast: Mango-tahini smoothie; ginger tea
Lunch: Lentil salad; roasted portobello mushroom with kale
Supper: Broth with wilted spinach; apple
Snacks: Almonds; raisins; roasted chili pumpkin seeds
Day 6:
Breakfast: Mango, strawberry, tahini smoothie; tulsi tea
Lunch: Roasted portobello mushroom; orange
Supper: Cauliflower stir fry; cucumber in vinegar brine
Snacks: Apple; raisins; almonds; roasted chili pumpkin seeds
Broth with wilted spinach
Day 7:
Breakfast: Blueberry, mint, avocado, strawberry smoothie; ginger tea
Lunch: Cauliflower stir fry; apple
Supper: Steamed broccoli with olive oil and salt; vegetable broth; cucumber in vinegar brine; strawberries in coconut white balsamic vinegar
Snacks: Celery with peanut butter; pumpkin seeds; camomile tea; hot water with honey; homemade ginger ale
Day 7 Supper
 Recipes for most of these dishes can be found on the Whole Living Detox: Week 1 website.