Spring Detox Kick Off

Mango-Tahini Smoothie (those mangos look like potatoes!)
Welcome to the first day of my Spring Detox!

Spring has been quite sluggish in its arrival this year. It snowed yesterday. Yes. SNOWED! Uhg. My thought is that if the weather won't move on to spring, I can at least give my body a bit of spring cleaning.

The purpose of a detox in general is to help your body rid itself of toxins and to help bring everything back into balance. It is supposed to help increase your energy level, digestion, and overall health.

I have never done a detox before. I've always been fascinated by the juice detoxes where you just drink vegetable juice for a week or two. On the other hand, I've always been really terrified of them because they take a bit of resolve. As your body is expelling the toxins, you feel tired, fatigued, bloated, and consequently crabby. If you can make it through the first few days, then you'll feel fantastic. The first few days always terrifies me into not doing anything at all.

Not so this year!

I came across the Whole Living Detox and suddenly felt like this was the time to try this out. I liked how this detox plan was not as extreme as a 10-day juice fast. This isn't a fast at all. Instead, it is a return to eating the rights foods and putting emphasis on the right foods. I can easily fill up on bread and cheese, but that isn't doing my body any favors.

Cauliflower Stir Fry
The Plan:
The detox will last 21 days (April 6 - 26). Throughout the detox, I will refrain from consuming caffeine, chocolate, processed sugars, gluten-based foods (i.e., bread), alcohol, and dairy. What will I eat?
Week 1: Fruit, vegetables, lentils, nuts, seeds, oils, spices, herbs
Week 2: Gluten-free grains (oats, rice, quinoa, etc.), beans, and everything from week 1.
Week 3: Eggs, soy, and everything from week 2. 
Throughout this 21-day journey, I'll be chronicling what I'm eating and how I'm feeling. I'll post on this blog how things are going and tweet pictures (@cravesustenance) throughout the process too.

Day 1:
Today I began my Spring Detox journey. My energy level this morning was good, and it wained throughout the day. I've been fighting a headache most of the afternoon, and I feel quite exhausted. I'm looking forward to taking a sauna either tonight or tomorrow to help along the detox process.

Breakfast: Mango-tahini smoothie, Tulsi tea
Lunch: Cauliflower stir fry
Supper: Broccoli, spinach, avocado soup; sweet potato chips
Snacks: almonds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, banana, golden elixir

Out of all these recipes, the soup was my favorite. But really, everything has been so delicious. I'm looking forward to making these recipes more often!

Broccoli Spinach Avocado Soup
Have you done a detox before? What was your experience?