Sweet Potato Ravioli


As a vegetarian, going out to eat can sometimes be tricky. So, when I do end up with multiple options of what to eat, I try to choose the option that I can't create at home. Since my husband doesn't like mushrooms, often I choose a mushroom risotto. However, when stuffed pasta is an option, I order that every time. I love stuffed pasta, and I know only too well the pains of making it at home. Two years after my Butternut Squash Ravioli debacle, only now did I feel confident enough to try it again...

This time, my ravioli turned out fabulous! :) 

Seriously, when the first trial turned out delicious and easy, I danced around the kitchen. 

The key in making good stuffed pasta is having a superb pasta recipe. That was my downfall with the Butternut Squash Ravioli. I've been struggling to find a great eggless pasta recipe. Eggs make the pasta soft and pliable, but I'd rather not use them in my pasta. I love eggs, but I don't like them when they hide in my recipes (which is one reason why I love baking vegan recipes). 

Recently, I checked out Kim Barnouin's Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook from the library. I'm pretty much in love with this cookbook. One recipe I'm head over heals for is her wonton wrapper recipe. It simply consists of flour, salt, and water. Mix the ingredients together and knead for about 10-15 minutes (no need for an upper body workout after this!). The dough will be stiff and smooth. Let rest for about 20 minutes, then roll out. I use my pasta roller attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer and roll out to the 5 thinness. A rolling pin would also work just fine. Cut the dough into 3 inch squares and you have homemade wonton wrappers! 

These wonton wrappers do stick together, so flour is essential. I froze half a batch and put parchment paper between each wrapper to keep them separate. Initially, I made the mistake of piling the squares on top of each other and ended up with a big lump of wonton wrapper dough. Fortunately, this dough rolls out great - even the 2nd or 3rd time around!

This wonton wrapper recipe is perfect for raviolis. Someday, I may get the ravioli maker attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer (check out this video demonstrating the attachment - its amazing!), but until then, I prefer to make ravioli in triangles instead of squares. 

This time, I used sweet potatoes for the filling, which was awesome! However, feel free to swap in butternut squash instead of the sweet potatoes. Either will work great.

The key with homemade stuffed pasta is to keep the sauce simple in order to showcase the pasta. I served it with a pesto-like sauce, and it was fabulous. 


I also served it with a rustic nut sauce (I was out of pine nuts, so I used peanuts instead). The flavor was great with the sweet potatoes, but the coarseness of the sauce took away from the soft, delicate texture of the ravioli. 

A simple veggie broth would also be divine. 


Sweet Potato Ravioli
about 24 ravioli, 1 hour

1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sage, dried
1 tablespoon parmesan, grated
1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 - 12 oz. package wonton wrappers (or make your own!)

  1. Mix the sweet potatoes, butter, salt, sage, parmesan, and breadcrumbs together in a small bowl.
  2. Place a teaspoon of the sweet potato mixture into the middle of one square wonton wrapper. With a finger, rub the edges of the square with some water. Fold into a triangle and press to seal the edges. Place on a well floured surface. Do not pile ravioli on top of each other. 
  3. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add ravioli and bring back to a gentle boil. You will need to turn down the heat a little bit so the water isn't boiling rapidly. Ravioli are fragile. They are done when they float to the top, which takes about 2 minutes. Remove from water, top with sauce, and eat immediately. 

Print this recipe.